Whitewood Woman Realizes Lifelong Wish to Drive Draught Horse Hitches

Source: Saskatchewan Agriculture and Food

On most days, one can find Whitewood Economic Development Officer Janet Blackstock nurturing her town’s entrepreneurial spirit wherever she can help.

During what free time she has, you might just catch her driving a team of Clydesdales in and around Whitewood, or in the show ring at Canadian Western Agribition.

"I grew up on a farm around a couple of old draught horses," she says. "We played with them when we were kids. We would sit two or three kids on the back of one old horse that we’d drive all over the place. When she’d get tired of us, she’d get down on the ground and roll and we’d jump off like fleas."

"I’m not afraid of them. I had seen them used to pull out manure or stone boats, or pull out a car once in while. I didn’t know how to drive them. I loved them but I certainly didn’t know about this calibre of showmanship or driving, or anything else."

Things changed for Blackstock when she met Harvey MacFarlane of Sanguine Clydesdales in Wolseley.

"As an artist, I love painting teams and I wanted to do it right, so I thought I should get involved with the horses," she says. "I took a driving clinic with Harvey MacFarlane and it triggered something for me. Driving a team is the biggest rush I have ever felt. It’s like driving a 747 to be handling the reins of any of the hitches, but especially any one of the big hitches. They just blow your mind."

Janet Blackstock enjoyed her experience so much that she now has a couple of these big horses living at her place.

"I am driving at home and I take them out to the odd parade and Santa Claus Day and that sort of thing. The Clydes are a little extra care. The big hairy feet are a lot of work, but the horses have the most charming personality. They are very docile, very sweet, nice-tempered. They are just what I need."

Blackstock’s new-found passion took her to Canadian Western Agribition this year as part of the Sanguine stable.

"I was helping show a string of six Clydesdales in the six-horse driving competition—there was the Unicorn and I entered a couple of lady driver classes. It is all about showmanship when you are at a fancy dress show like this."

“There are hours spent in the wash racks cleaning them because they have just come out of a standard yard, so they are in their winter clothes," she says. "They must be clipped; the manes must be braided; their tails are tied; and the harness must be polished, mended and put together. It is a huge amount of preparation to get them ready to go in the ring. You are in there for five or 10 minutes. It is sheer bliss during that period, and then you are out again."

But it is all worth it, Blackstock admits. "The goal is to show off your team well. You have to demonstrate control of the team, move it in a pattern and keep the pace going. They call for a speed up, slow down pattern in the ring. It is important that the team shows itself to its best advantage: heads up, eyes bright; because basically, you are marketing your business."

Breeding Clydesdales and showing them is big business for some, but for Janet Blackstock, it is a labour of love from which she won’t shy away anytime soon.

For more information, contact:
Janet Blackstock
Whitewood, Saskatchewan
(306) 735-2800



Click here for more information on Saskatchewan

Comments